The Global Sense Blog by Judah Freed features diverse posts about global thinking and world events related to his proposed book, Making Global Sense. If you have any topic that you wish to see discussed by Judah Freed, please send a note through the contact form.
Blog Subscription Premium
Subscribers get a free copy of my ebook, “A Parable of Liberty Lost and Found,” the preamble from my proposed book, Making Global Sense. Please use the form in the right-hand column. Thanks — Judah.
For information on Making Global Sense, please send an email.
- The second annual 2015 Kauai Writers Conference exceeded expectations. Much smaller and more intimate than the former Maui Writers Conference, the May 1-3 event on Kauai's legendary Coconut Coast attracted twice the attendance as the inaugural conference last year and more than three times as many presenters.
The faculty authors included ...more
- A friend recently asked me for advice on how to send his email securely. I had to ask what he meant by "secure."
Did he mean a password-protected email account? Practically all email accounts are password-protected today, even Yahoo and Google, plus virtually every viable email app require password authentication for ...more
- LIHUE - This week, the Government Accountability Project (GAP), a nonprofit, nonpartisan public interest group based in Washington, D.C., submitted several information requests to Hawaii state and county officials about meetings and communications with large biotech companies during the debate over Kauai’s pesticide and disclosure legislation, Bill 2491. The bill, ...more
Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto created this beautiful yet terrifying time-lapse map of the 2,053 nuclear explosions on earth between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project's "Trinity" test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan's nuclear tests in May 1998. The video leaves out all tests since 1998, including ...more
- Good music and deep inspiration from the conscious hip-hop band, the Luminaries:
- Kauai County Council representative Gary Hooser talks about why he drafted Bill 2491 and what he hopes it will do for Kaua'i. He also lets us know what we can do to help to get it passed and what we can do as citizen action to stop the poisoning of ...more
- If you are on Kauai, please turn out today for the public hearing on County Council Bill 2491, which would protect the public's right to know about the GMO crops being grown here and the toxic chemicals being used on these crops that may harm our health and our environment.
- When it comes to civil rights, the U.S. Supreme Court seems to give with one hand what it takes away with the other.
Many celebrated yesterday's decisions to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) that denied equal liberties to all couples, regardless of sexual orientation. In a parallel ruling, ...more
Kauai, 25 May 2013 -- Ever since January 2013 when Dr. Vandana Shiva spoke on Kauai about the GMO research crops contaminating the island ecology, Garden Isle residents increasingly have been speaking out against the biotech companies on Kauai.
The latest demonstration took place today on Kuhio Highway in Kapaa. At ...more
- Welcome back to those of you who visited this site in recent months and wondered why the web pages were not displaying properly. Sadly, the site had been hacked and progressively disabled. Ouch. The site has now been totally cleansed, secured in multiple layers, and wholly redesigned graphically from one ...more
- Congratulations to BuzzFeed.com for posting 15 great political cartoons about the Occupy Wall Street protests. Check these out for yourself. Below is a prime example:
- Given the rapid growth of the "Occupy Wall Street" movement across America and the world, these songs are as relevant today as more than 40 years ago.
The original recording of the classic Buffalo Springfield song brings it all back with vivid images.
This video is from the 40-year reunion of Buffalo ...more