30 tips in 30 days: #22.
If you are like me, one of your biggest life lessons is learning how to respond instead of react emotionally. How often have you flashed into anger and later had to apologize after you saw that an old neural script dictated your reaction? What have you done to help yourself? Below are some of the emotional growth methods that work for me. Please experiment to learn what works best for you.
- Psychotherapy — I prefer gestalt, cognitive-emotive therapy, voice dialogue, and psychodrama. A good counselor helps me to transcend my fears. A good one helps me safely release resentment stored in my body, so I can reach forgivenesss. I’ve learned to avoid any counselor more interested in billable hours than my transformation.
- Personal Growth Workshops — I?like small-group workshops with self-directed processes and lots of individual support, such as Family Constellations work. If you prefer large-group trainings, go for it. Please be wary of any training leaders with an authoritarian style who push sales and enrollment in the guise of “empowerment.”
- 12-Step Groups — Attending anonymous meetings like Alanon and working the steps with a sponsor turned my life around. For those with self-destructive habits like alcoholism, 12-Step meetings might be the best hope for lasting sobriety. However I’ve come to disbelieve the “uncurable disease” premise applies to all addictions, like authority addiction, which can be wholly deleted from our neural coding with sufficient personal growth work and spiritual healing.
- Tapping and Anchoring — Tapping on neural meridians alters my behavioral coding by crossing the body/mind divide. I use Emotional Freedom?Technique (EFT), NeuroEmotional Technique (NET), Per-cussive Suggestion Technique (PSTEC), Neural Linguistic Program-ming (NLP) and other methods to rewrite my emotional scripts. The key is anchoring replacement coding into the body memory.
- Beliefs and Patterns — Releasing or replacing self-limiting beliefs, such as replacing a belief life is unsafe with a belief life really is safe, alters my neurochemistry and energy field. “Esoteric Tuning” from New Hampshire dowser Don Taylor works for me, as does the Body Alignment Exercises of Peggy Spencer (SeventhSage.com) and The Transformation Technique of Gabriel Dyan near London, UK.
- Energy Healing — I?use Reiki, Deeksha, Axiotonal Alignment, Jin Shin Jyutsu, chakra balancing, crystal healing, sound healing, and other modalities. Along with receiving healings, I cultivate my gifts as a healer. Healing others heals me, giving me inner peace, for I?must set aside my ego to let divine light flow though my hands.
- Physical Wellness — My heart, mind. body, and soul are linked, so emotional and physical health are connected (see Chapter 11). If an emotional healing triggers a physical healing crisis, I trust it.
- Prayer and Meditation — Connecting to Source daily helps keep me centered, balanced and peaceful. When I don’t do it, I feel it. I lack emotional resilience. Any disconnection from Spirit shows up in my emotional reactions — or overreactions (see Chapter 14).
- • Rituals — I?thrive on rituals from diverse cultures like shamanic journeys and soul retrievals, magic circles, vision quests, and Native American sweat lodges done in a good way.
- Reading — I read self-help books plus books about spirituality, philosophy, history, biography and syntopically related themes. The stack of books by my bed changes as my interests change.
- Journaling — Writing in a journal assures my emotional health. I’ve had more breakthroughs from writing journal entries than from talk therapy sessions. If you do not keep a journal, I encourage you to start one. I prefer a blank sketch book, but that’s just me.
- Community — To stay conscious, I need reinforcement from friendships with globally conscious people who likewise care about personal growth. They may model emotional health in ways that transform me.?For this reason, I invite you to network with other readers at the book’s website, GlobalSense.com. Please form local meetup groups or support groups for mutual growth.
If you wish to help create a quantum shift into global consciousness on our planet, please share with others this excerpt from my book: GLOBAL SENSE: The 2012 Edition: A spiritual handbook on the nature of society and how to change the world by changing ourselves