30 tips in 30 days: #14.
The more we think creatively, the easier it becomes. Brian Clark at Copyblogger.com warns us against the mental blocks that prevent creative thinking. He lists 10 ways we suppress our creativity along with ways to counter each mental block; here is my distillation:
- Seeking one “right” answer – Look for multiple right answers.
- Logical thinking – Think in terms of symbols and metaphors.
- Following rules – Defy groupthink. Ask “why” and “why not.”
- Being practical – Don’t let feasibility stop you. Ask “what if.”
- Play is not work – Try seeing work and play as the same thing.
- That’s not my job – Don’t let specialization entrap your mind.
- Be a “serious” person – Like a court jester, find humor in truth.
- Avoiding ambiguity – Uncertainty is the friend of innovation.
- “Being wrong is bad.” — Use trial and error; welcome mistakes.
- “I’m Not Creative.” — See creativity is an inborn human trait.
Do such ideas stimulate you? I sure do hope so. I am barely dipping a toe here into the vast ocean of imagination called creativity. Dive in for yourself. Go exploring. Have fun.
If you wish to help create a quantum shift into global consciousness on our planet, please share with others this excerpt from my book: GLOBAL SENSE: The 2012 Edition: A spiritual handbook on the nature of society and how to change the world by changing ourselves